Members of a church may have been married overseas in a civil ceremony, or in a jurisdiction in which informal marriages are recognised. Such marriages are likely to be recognised under Australian law, however the couple may also seek an Anglican marriage service.

It is recommended that the appropriate liturgy is the Blessing of a Civil Marriage as developed by the General Synod Liturgy Commission.

For more information, please contact the Archbishop’s Office.

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Talk with one of our Ministry Support team at 08 8305 9359 or email